Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The top 10 fashion myths

I have always resented rules in fashion. I think that whatever makes you feel good, is good. So while I do have some unwritten rules for myself (never wear yellow or orange, stay away from beige and mini skirts etc.), I do not think that the same rules apply to everyone. Instead, I think that everyone should make their own rules, depending on their taste, style and body.
This is why I honestly think that some so called fashion rules are really fashion myths.

These are the top 10 “fashion rules” that really should be re-named fashion myths instead, if you ask me:

1. You need to have a perfect body to dress well/wear high fashion.
I could not disagree more with this! I know a lot of people who have far from perfect bodies, but who still look great, because they know how to play up their good features and hide their flaws. FASHION MYTH!

2. You should never wear large patterns, because it makes you look fat.
Large patterns can look great, it has more to do with the look of the pattern than with the size of it, if you ask me. FASHION MYTH!

3. You should never mix silver and gold.
This is a “rule” that is really old fashioned if you ask me. I will admit that mixing silver and gold successfully can be challenging, but this does not mean it cannot be done. FASHION MYTH!
4. Matching your shoes and handbag is old fashioned and tacky.
On the contrary! I think it can make your look seem more polished. (But again, it needs to be done right, of course) FASHION MYTH!

5. Models look good in anything.
Most of them, actually do not. But they have experts help them with what they should wear and get professional help with their hair and make up too. MODEL MYTH!
6. You should never mix different patterns.
This is also pretty challenging, I admit, but I do think it can be done. You just need to have an eye for what goes together and you need to find prints that have something in common. But with some practice, most people can learn to do this as well. FASHION MYTH!

7. Never wear white shoes.
I am actually not a fan of white shoes in general, but I have seen some cute pairs. So this also, can be done, and if you really like white shoes, there is no reason to stay away from them. SHOE MYTH!

8. Never wear white pants.
This actually makes sense, because I have stained every white pair of pants or jeans I ever had, so I am not buying any more. But that said, white pants can look great! So if you are not clumsy like me, go for it! FASHION MYTH!

9. Tall women should not wear high heels.
Okay, so to be honest, this has never been a problem for me personally since I am rather short. But I do think there are plenty of tall women (models, anyone?) who look amazing in heels. So why should they not wear them? SHOE MYTH!

10. Short women should avoid long, maxi dresses and long skirts.
As I already mentioned, I am not very tall, but I still love me a maxi dress (or 20!) so this is something I really do not agree with. Wear what you like and never mind those silly rules! FASHION MYTH!

What do you guys think? Are these myths or rules to be lived by? Do you know of any other fashion myths? (I am sure these are just the tip of the ice berg!)

(pics from FabSugar, Modelinia and Goldprice)

7 comments:

  1. I think you have a really good list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wooow. i enjoyed reading this. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes! And the mixing of black and brown or blue, which is also tricky but can be done well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi babe, I also don't follow fashion's do's and dont's, your post is spot on, they are all fashion myths :)

    Brilliant post babe!!!
    LOVE it!!!

    Kisses
    J
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all of this. I think a lot depends on the person and how they style an outfit according to the body. The most common 'rule' I know is the unflattering horizontal stripes (which again, can actually work depending on how large the stripes are) and everyone looking thin in black, which to me is probably the only true fashion rule.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! It's funny, but I have never worn large patterns simply because my mom always stressed that it makes people (especially short people) look fat. Lol. Nice to know its not entirely true. ;)

    And I love mixing patterns! The crazier the better. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny post! :D Have a lovely weekend, darling.

    ReplyDelete